Monday, April 2, 2012

April 1st the start of a Banal Life of the Empty Nester

Only 61 days until the very last day of high school for my baby's senior year.  But who is counting?  What will my days be like without having to plan the rest of my life around school calendars, sport schedules, family outings?
Banal?  Trivial?  Empty?  Fulfilling?  Relief?  Grief?
One must be truly blessed with the banality of an ordinary life.  I will cherish every day of no drama, no emergency to attend to, health problem to address, I want an ordinary and terribly banal life.  The less I have to worry about the better.
Of course, I will still worry about the boys.  I will worry about their lives, their future, their relationships, but it's under their control, it's out of my  hands now.  I helped guide them down a path, it's their decision to continue down whatever road I pointed out for them or choose their own.  And it will be their decision.
So what do I do?  Look forward to my ordinary life, I hope.
Today, April 1st, we bought a 1996 truck.  Good cruise around town 4X4 for this East coast life we chose.  An extra vehicle for the kids to drive when they come home for breaks and holidays from college.
Day one of the banal life!

No comments:

Post a Comment